While shortwave radio broadcasting is on the wane due to better technologies (satellite radio and internet radio) there is still something exotic about listening to an actual radio signal originating 12,000 miles away.
And unlike the internet and satellite receivers, a shortwave radio is portable and easy to use. Take a portable radio onto the back deck, fire up a cigar and a good book and plays the BBC or Radio Australia in the background without wireless routers or pointing a sat radio antenna to obtain a signal.
About RTH (World Radio TV Handbook)
The WRTH is the only reference listing every shortwave station and most AM stations in the entire world. The demise of Larry Magne’s ‘Passport to World Band Radio” has left the WRTH alone in the field.
I am not sure how much longer shortwave radio will exist as a medium, but as long as it does, the WRTH is your ‘TV Guide’. They also produce quarterly updates to station schedules and frequency changes which can be d*wnloaded from the internet. (World Radio TV Handbook 2011: The Directory of Global Broadcasting)
WRTH 2011 is the 65th edition of “WRT Handbook” and this great directory continues to offer the most comprehensive guide to broadcasting on the planet.
Completely revised and updated, this new edition is the most accurate guide to national and international SW, MW, and FM broadcasting available.
“The World Radio TV Handbook” is divided into a number of sections covering numerous topics, from
- National Radio, which looks at the world’s domestic radio services, listed by country and including contact details, to
- International Radio – featuring full facts about all broadcasters transmitting internationally; and from
- Television Broadcasts, which details the world’s main national broadcasters and large regional networks to
- Frequency lists of all MW and international and domestic SW broadcasts.
Also included in this revised edition is a reference section that contains listings of international and domestic transmitter sites, standard time and frequency transmissions, DX Club information, as well as other essential print and electronic resources.
WRTH 2011 Product Details:
- Paperback: 672 pages
- Publisher: WRTH Publications; 65th Revised edition (December 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0955548136
- ISBN-13: 978-0955548130
- Product Dimensions: 8.8 x 5.8 x 1.1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.6 pounds
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #6,941 in Books
Media Monitoring Club on WRTH (World Radio TV Handbook) 2011
Since the World Radio TV Handbook in 2011, the Media Monitoring Club has been listed in the DX Club information