Monitoringclub.org – In programming, the act of scripting is basically writing a series of commands that are interpreted one by one by an application or scripting engine. Therefore, every programmer needs to understand scripting language so that the application or software being developed can work.
For some people scripting still feels confusing. For this reason, we will provide explanations about the meaning of scripting, scripting languages, to their functions from various sources.
1. Scripting Definition
The definition of scripting refers to in this article is not written as preparation material to prepare a series of sentences that will be delivered in front of an audience, but refers to a series of programing actions to tell the browser what to do.
Often misunderstood, many think that scripting is the like as coding, but the two are different things. Simply put, scripting enable you to control the program by coding, whereas coding itself enable you to create programs. In short, scripting offer functionality while coding offer structure.
2. Scripting language
The scripting language is a computer language that provides instructions called scripts for software on applications and websites. A script contains a command series interpreted by software, an application, or a scripting engine individuality in a runtime environment.
Scripting language use programs known as interpreters to translate commands and are directly interpreted from source code without requiring any compilation steps. Please note that all scripting languages are programming languages but not all programming languages are scripting languages.
Usually, scripting languages are used by web developers to create and maintain websites, are used by system administrators to identify and resolve errors in the system, and are used by programmer analysts as a tool to create concise commands and automate certain tasks.
3. Scripting language Functions
There are many functions of scripting language—depending on the type used—but there are some common functions of scripting language, including the following.
- Programming often uses scripting languages to automate the execution of tasks in a runtime environment.
- Scripting language also serves to ensure the program runs correctly on the server and displays functional and interactive content on web pages.
- Many programmers implement scripting languages to shorten sequences of commands to allow programs to run faster.
4. Scripting language Types
First, server-side scripting language is required to access or store persistent data such as user profile information. Example of server-side scripting language::
- PHP is the most famous scripting language used on the web.
- ASP.NET is a web application framework designed by Microsoft.
- PITON is a scripting language that is suitable for beginners because it uses shorter code.
Second, the client-side scripting language will run in the user’s browser generating dynamic content by processing the code received from the server. Client-side scripting language example:
- HTML is the web development foundation.
- CSS is scripting language to improve on-page display and graphics in web search engines.
5. Most Popular Scripting language
There are some of the most famous scripting languages. Here’s the list:
- Then there PHP which is generally very suitable in web development.
- Python is the easiest scripting language to learn and is commonly used in task automation, website creation, and data analysis.
- The next is Perl, commonly used to manage databases.
- Finally, the most famous scripting language is Ruby which is now widely used by large companies.
That is the meaning of scripting, scripting language, and scripting functions. If there is a question why we need to bother studying scripting language? Because, in addition to expanding knowledge, scripting language will help find new opportunities in your career journey.