Monitoringclub.org | EMDR Therapy Cost – EMDR therapy is a unique and effective treatment for trauma-related anxiety disorders. It was created by Francine Shapiro as an alternative method for treating patients who had failed to respond to traditional talk therapies.
The technique uses left/right eye movement prompts designed specifically to help people break up negative thought loops associated with their memory or experience so they can process more clearly what happened without feeling overwhelmed.
Studies behind it show that it can help treat types of trauma that were induced by powerful life events like stress, PTSD, phobias, depression, anxiety, addiction, abuse, and so forth. Eye movement can actually be used as a form of therapy to help those with anxiety.
Research has shown that after successful treatment, negative beliefs have been reformulated and reduced in severity for many people, while for many others, symptoms disappear entirely.
EMDR Therapy Cost
Now, let’s talk about the cost of EMDR therapy. On average, EMDR therapy will cost you anywhere between $100 and $300 per session, and each session usually shouldn’t last more than a couple of hours.
Most of the time sessions will be around one hour long. To have an idea of what it will cost you to go through this therapy, you will have to factor in the fee of the professional doing the therapy, your location, and the number of sessions you will need.
It takes multiple sessions, and each session is an individual charge. In general, the total costs will range from $800 to $2,500 for desirable results; however, it all depends on you as a person because some people may see improvement in one or two sessions while others might need more than that.
What Factors Affect the Cost of EMDR Therapy?
The cost of EMDR therapy can vary depending on several factors, including:
- Therapist’s Experience and Qualifications: The expertise and qualifications of the therapist play a crucial role in determining the cost of EMDR therapy. Highly experienced therapists with specialized training may charge higher fees for their services.
- Location of the Therapist: Geographical location significantly influences EMDR therapy costs. Therapists practicing in metropolitan areas or regions with a higher cost of living may charge more for their services compared to those in less expensive areas.
- Number of Sessions Required: The overall cost is influenced by the number of sessions needed for a complete EMDR therapy course. This can vary based on individual needs and the severity of the condition being treated.
- Type of Insurance Coverage: The availability and extent of insurance coverage also impact the cost of EMDR therapy. Some insurance plans may cover a portion or the entirety of the expenses, making it more affordable for individuals.
It’s important to note that while EMDR therapy may be more expensive than traditional talk therapies, it can be a more effective treatment for trauma-related anxiety disorders. It’s also worth noting that many insurance plans cover EMDR therapy, so be sure to check with your provider to see if it’s covered.
FAQs About EMDR Therapy
What is the success rate of EMDR therapy?
Research has shown that EMDR therapy has a success rate of 80-90% for people with PTSD.
Is EMDR therapy covered by insurance?
Yes, EMDR therapy is covered by most insurance plans. However, you should check with your insurance provider to see if they cover it.
How long does it take to see results from EMDR therapy?
Some people see results after just one or two sessions, while others may need more. It all depends on the individual.
Is EMDR therapy painful?
No, EMDR therapy is not painful. It is a non-invasive form of therapy that uses eye movement to help process traumatic memories.
What are the side effects of EMDR therapy?
Some people may experience mild side effects such as fatigue, headache, or dizziness after an EMDR therapy session. However, these side effects usually go away within a few hours.
- A randomized controlled trial comparing the clinical efficacy and cost …. https://bmcpsychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12888-020-02713-x.
- EMDR Therapy Indicated as the Most Cost-Effective Trauma Treatment. https://www.emdria.org/blog/emdr-therapy-indicated-as-the-most-cost-effective-trauma-treatment/.
- The current status of EMDR therapy, specific target areas, and goals …. https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2021-36472-005.